turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

galejules

If my husband died in 2019 , and i filed for that year, with you, but am not sure what to do for this year 2020?

I would like to speak with a real person
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

If my husband died in 2019 , and i filed for that year, with you, but am not sure what to do for this year 2020?

You may be eligible to use qualifying widow(er) as your filing status for 2 years following the year your spouse died. If your spouse died in 2019, and you haven't remarried, you may be able to use this filing status for 2020 and 2021.

This filing status entitles you to use joint return tax rates and the highest standard deduction amount (if you don’t itemize deductions). It doesn't entitle you to file a joint return. 

For more information please check Qualifying Widow(er)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you don't have any dependents. you file Single.

That's all there is to it.

if you did not file Married Joint in 2019, you should amend your 2019 tax return.

You should start a brand new account for yourself and not transfer from last year. You can not remove a spouse or switch the order of names.

Online is only good for 1 return. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts. How to start another return in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies