turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unclesgirl2020
Returning Member

If my dependents other parent passed in 2018 but was able to claim him on those taxes, whereas I did not need to file, who receives the stimulus payment for our child?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my dependents other parent passed in 2018 but was able to claim him on those taxes, whereas I did not need to file, who receives the stimulus payment for our child?

The IRS would use the information from the 2018 return, so the stimulus money would go to the person who claimed the child.  

To change that you would need to file a 2019 return, if you don't qualify to file a regular 2019 return, then you can use the IRS Non-Filers option but you must be able to claim the child.

Use the "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here" application if:

• You are not required to file federal income tax returns for 2018 and 2019 for any reason including:
    • Your income is less than $12,200
    • You’re married filing jointly and together your income is less than $24,400
    • You have no income
  • You have qualifying children under age 17 and you receive SSI or VA benefits (you must enter your info by May 5)

Do not use this tool if you are required to file a 2018 or 2019 tax return; you should file as you normally would.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The IRS would use the information from the 2018 return, so the stimulus money would go to the person who claimed the child.  

To change that you would need to file a 2019 return, if you don't qualify to file a regular 2019 return, then you can use the IRS Non-Filers option but you must be able to claim the child.

Use the "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here" application if:

• You are not required to file federal income tax returns for 2018 and 2019 for any reason including:
    • Your income is less than $12,200
    • You’re married filing jointly and together your income is less than $24,400
    • You have no income
  • You have qualifying children under age 17 and you receive SSI or VA benefits (you must enter your info by May 5)

Do not use this tool if you are required to file a 2018 or 2019 tax return; you should file as you normally would.

Unclesgirl2020
Returning Member

Thank you for the response but a couple things.... first his dad is deceased so he would not be receiving a stimulus check. His wife recieved hers but got no dependent pay. Second, I can not use the non fillers because it states I have already filed through a different account which would be through you guys.....I signed up for the stimulus registration  before there was a non fillers option. And I did state there is a custody agreement in place. So what now? No one gets the dependent pay?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies