turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hwsmi

If my daughter filed taxes but said she checked the box claiming she was a dependent....the IRS is rejecting my return now. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my daughter filed taxes but said she checked the box claiming she was a dependent....the IRS is rejecting my return now. How do I fix this?

(whoops...apparently I didn't click the right button to finish this properly....see the following post from @xmasbaby0  )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

",,,,,said she checked the box claiming she was a dependent...."

Have you actually seen her Form 1040?  Kids make this mistake a LOT, especially teenagers and students filing first tax returns.  If she said on her own tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent you will be able to see it up near the top of her tax form.  If she made a mistake and answered incorrectly in My Info about being claimed, then she needs to amend her return AFTER it has been fully processed.  (not before).

Meanwhile, you are getting an "un-fixable" rejection so your own return cannot be e-filed this year.  Print, sign, and mail the return that is claiming your daughter as your dependent.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies