Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim head of household if my child was born in November 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, as long as you qualify in all the other regards. The IRS doesn't penalize you for a late birth if your child lived with you for over whatever portion of the tax year that was possible.

You can be Head of Household if you qualify.

You qualify if you:

1. Were unmarried as of December 31, 2017 and
  2. Paid more than half the cost to run your home (or the home of a qualifying parent who doesn't live with you) in 2017 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
  3. Supported a qualifying person who lived with you.

If you were still legally married as of December 31 and a child lives with you, you may qualify for Head of Household under a slightly different set of rules. Read more*

*Even if you were legally married as of December 31, you are considered unmarried (and therefore eligible for Head of Household) if all 5 of these conditions apply:

1. You won't be filing jointly with your spouse; and
  2. Your spouse didn't live in your home after June (temporary absences due to illness, school, vacation, business, or military service don't count); and
  3. Your home was your child's, stepchild's, or foster child's main home for more than half the year (non-child dependents in your home don't qualify); and
  4. You paid more than half the costs of keeping up your home during the tax year; and
  5. You meet the qualifications to claim the child as your dependent, even if the other (noncustodial) parent is actually claiming the child as a dependent on their return.

When you go through the Personal Info section, TurboTax will let you know if your situation qualifies you for Head of Household.

If you already went through this section, you can go back by simply clicking Personal Info and revisit (edit) the sections that contain information about yourself and/or your dependent(s).

If my child was born in November does it count for the whole year?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies