Solved: If my 16 year old son passed away on May 16, 2017 can I file a tax return for him this year and do I file as Head of Household?

If my 16 year old son passed away on May 16, 2017 can I file a tax return for him this year and do I file as Head of Household?

He lived with me full time and I have had full custody his whole life.

I am so very sorry for your loss.  Yes, you can claim your son as a dependent for your 2017 tax return and file as Head of Household.

Thank you xmasbaby0....do I need to use a special form to file or just file as usual...a 1040EZ?

You are welcome.  No special form needed. Again, so sorry.