turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sarcoguy

If I paid half of new windows (downpayment) in 2018 and had them installed and paid the rest in 2019, do I claim any credits for 2018 or is it all for 2019?

I had new windows installed in my house. I'd like to claim a tax credit. I paid a downpayment (half) in 2018 and they were installed and I finished the last payment in 2019. Do I claim any credits for 2018 or would it all be for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AlanT
Expert Alumni

If I paid half of new windows (downpayment) in 2018 and had them installed and paid the rest in 2019, do I claim any credits for 2018 or is it all for 2019?

Unfortunately, the federal $500 Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit is currently expired, and we don't know when (or if) Congress will approve this credit for tax year 2018. This means you cannot take the credit until it is renewed.  

This credit covered energy-efficient improvements like windows, doors, skylights, insulation, roofing products, nonsolar water heaters, heating, ventilating, and cooling systems. 

If this credit is approved after your file your 2018 return, you can file an amendment to claim the credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies