turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live in PA and work in NJ, and I have 2 W-2s ( never did before)why is turbo tax telling me I owe the amount of state tax I've already paid?How do I change that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I live in PA and work in NJ, and I have 2 W-2s ( never did before)why is turbo tax telling me I owe the amount of state tax I've already paid?How do I change that?

If you live in PA and work in NJ, you should only need to file a PA tax return if your employer is only withholding PA state taxes.  If you have 2 W2's that are reporting the same amount of income on each one, this would be the reason you are owing the same amount of state tax you already paid (you're double reporting). Since PA has a flat tax rate, if you double reported it would be exactly the same amount that you already paid.  If they are the same, the fix would be to delete one of the W-2's if you should not actually have 2 of them.

If your employer withheld taxes for NJ instead of PA then you will file an NJ and should get a full refund of your taxes paid, then file PA and pay PA. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Did you enter both W-2s?  Are they for the same amount?

If you live in PA and work in NJ, you should only need to file a PA tax return if your employer is only withholding PA state taxes.  If you have 2 W2's that are reporting the same amount of income on each one, this would be the reason you are owing the same amount of state tax you already paid (you're double reporting). Since PA has a flat tax rate, if you double reported it would be exactly the same amount that you already paid.  If they are the same, the fix would be to delete one of the W-2's if you should not actually have 2 of them.

If your employer withheld taxes for NJ instead of PA then you will file an NJ and should get a full refund of your taxes paid, then file PA and pay PA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies