turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live in MA and my wife lives in NJ and she does not earn income, should we still file federal as married joint and state as married filing separately or both joint?

My company relocated me from NJ to MA during 2018.  I lived half of the year in NJ and half in MA.  My wife stayed in NJ since my son is finishing high school.  I work but my wife does not.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If I live in MA and my wife lives in NJ and she does not earn income, should we still file federal as married joint and state as married filing separately or both joint?

You may file as Married Filing Joint for your Federal Return even though you file as Married Filing Separately on your state return.  For New Jersey, you will file a part-year return as Married Filing Joint.  New Jersey requires you to use the same status in New Jersey as you use on the Federal Return.  You can claim part-year resident because your wife did not work last year.  

From a technical standpoint, Massachusetts has a different requirement.  If you and your spouse have different residency periods in Massachusetts, you are technically supposed to file using the status of Married Filing Separately, so I would recommend using this status for your part-year Massachusetts filing.  It will eliminate Massachusetts from asking unnecessary questions on your wife's residency if you were to file jointly.  Since your wife does not have to file her own separate Massachusetts return, you should be able to prepare both of these returns in your one TurboTax account without creating a separate mock account for her state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You may file as Married Filing Joint for your Federal Return even though you file as Married Filing Separately on your state return.  For New Jersey, you will file a part-year return as Married Filing Joint.  New Jersey requires you to use the same status in New Jersey as you use on the Federal Return.  You can claim part-year resident because your wife did not work last year.  

From a technical standpoint, Massachusetts has a different requirement.  If you and your spouse have different residency periods in Massachusetts, you are technically supposed to file using the status of Married Filing Separately, so I would recommend using this status for your part-year Massachusetts filing.  It will eliminate Massachusetts from asking unnecessary questions on your wife's residency if you were to file jointly.  Since your wife does not have to file her own separate Massachusetts return, you should be able to prepare both of these returns in your one TurboTax account without creating a separate mock account for her state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies