• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maggie2-

If I have claimed my mother as a dependent how do i convey to the irs that she has died but we supported her for over 1/2 of the year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

If I have claimed my mother as a dependent how do i convey to the irs that she has died but we supported her for over 1/2 of the year?

Yes, you will have to indicate in your tax return in the dependent section that your mother passed away in 2016.  (see attached screenshot)

Note: Although your mother passed away in 2016 you would still state that she lived with you all year in TurboTax (see attached screenshot)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Patrice

Yes, you will have to indicate in your tax return in the dependent section that your mother passed away in 2016.  (see attached screenshot)

Note: Although your mother passed away in 2016 you would still state that she lived with you all year in TurboTax (see attached screenshot)

View solution in original post

maggie2-

where is attached screen  sheet
Patrice

see above
maggie2-

ok but the irs rejected the claim because her ssn  was locked because of her death. how can she be declared as a dependent without her son ?
maggie2-

sorry, that was without her social security number not son
Patrice

You have the option to print and file a paper return because the IRS will not accept the return electronically because the social security number was locked.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v