LP1968

if i have a refund, do I still need to file for an extension?

My 2019 tax return will have a sizable refund in both federal and CA state. However, i learned today that I can file my return until i get a corrected 1099 from Fidelity in 2-3 weeks... 

I was told that nothing needs to be done now since no money due. I just submit my return when I have the missing doc... is this correct or do I still need to file for an extension by 7/15? 

Is the rule for this the same for Federal and CA state returns? or i need to plan one differently? 

Thanks

AnnetteB6

If you will not be able to file your return by July 15, then you need to file an extension for your Federal return even if you are expecting a refund.  The extension gives you more time to file the return in order to avoid a failure to file penalty.  California will grant an automatic extension to file if you expect a refund.

@LP1968

AnnetteB6

@LP1968