• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cslechta
Level 1

If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a security with a $10K long-term loss at use that to offset the short-term gain?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a security with a $10K long-term loss at use that to offset the short-term gain?

the short answer is yes.  you can offset net short gains with net long term loses. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

See this TurboTax Tax-Tip - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/capital-gains-and-losses/L7GF1ouP8

Losses on your investments are first used to offset capital gains of the same type. So short-term losses are first deducted against short-term gains, and long-term losses are deducted against long-term gains. Net losses of either type can then be deducted against the other kind of gain.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the short answer is yes.  you can offset net short gains with net long term loses. 

View solution in original post

NCperson
Level 15

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v