Solved: If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a s...

If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a security with a $10K long-term loss at use that to offset the short-term gain?

Anonymous
Not applicable

the short answer is yes.  you can offset net short gains with net long term loses. 

See this TurboTax Tax-Tip - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/capital-gains-and-losses/L7GF1ouP8

Losses on your investments are first used to offset capital gains of the same type. So short-term losses are first deducted against short-term gains, and long-term losses are deducted against long-term gains. Net losses of either type can then be deducted against the other kind of gain.

Anonymous
Not applicable