turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tavia--

If i got marry in 2018 & want to still files separtly. Could I do that & if so could we split the kids up & file 2 each out of 4 kids especially if hes not the biological

Help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i got marry in 2018 & want to still files separtly. Could I do that & if so could we split the kids up & file 2 each out of 4 kids especially if hes not the biological

If you got married in 2018 you have the option to file jointly or separately on your federal income tax returns in 2019.  2017 tax return you file most likely as Single or Head of Household

Please see the links below for more info

What is my tax filing status (single, married, etc.)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302320

Who can I claim as my dependent?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you got married in 2018 you have the option to file jointly or separately on your federal income tax returns in 2019.  2017 tax return you file most likely as Single or Head of Household

Please see the links below for more info

What is my tax filing status (single, married, etc.)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302320

Who can I claim as my dependent?

You have plenty of time to consider how you will file your 2018 return next year in 2019.  Before then, you should learn a little bit about the difference between filing as married filing separately and married filing jointly.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,000 (add $1300 for each spouse over the age of 65).  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable.  In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI) If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

Note:  Edited a few minutes after posting to reflect 2018 standard deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies