Solved: If I enter gambling winnings my tax owed goes up. I show my losses equal to my winnings.This does not reduce my taxes to what it was before entering the winnings. Why?

If I enter gambling winnings my tax owed goes up. I show my losses equal to my winnings.This does not reduce my taxes to what it was before entering the winnings. Why?

I am taking the standard deduction, not itemized, as this is better for me.

Gambling

To enter the W-2G  or other documents For your Gambling winnings--Go to Federal>Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Gambling Winnings

You can enter your winnings, and then keep clicking through the interview to enter gambling losses.

Gambling losses are an itemized deduction; you can only get a deduction if the combination of all of your other itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction.  Losses do not offset winnings dollar for dollar.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/how-do-i-claim-my-gambling-winnings-and-or-losses

Gambling