turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missy1

If I earned less than $10k from another country as a freelancer, no 1099, while remaining in the U.S., can I just include that in General Business Income?

Basically, the income was from a foreign client paying a bill. I was not an employee. The foreign income section has confused me. Do I have to fill out that section or can I just include it in the General Business Income? 

Also, the Canadian tax dept told me I didn't have to pay any taxes there since it was under 10k. Do you know if that is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If I earned less than $10k from another country as a freelancer, no 1099, while remaining in the U.S., can I just include that in General Business Income?

If you are a US citizen or resident, you must declare all  your worldwide income (Canada has their own tax rules). 

Unless you paid foreign tax on the foreign income, you do not need to report this as foreign income.  Just include the income in your General Business Income.  If for some reason you did have to pay foreign tax on this income, then you would want to claim foreign tax credit on your US return to help offset double taxation.  If this is the case, enter "foreign tax credit" in the search box at the top of your screen and click the " Jump to foreign tax credit."

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are a US citizen or resident, you must declare all  your worldwide income (Canada has their own tax rules). 

Unless you paid foreign tax on the foreign income, you do not need to report this as foreign income.  Just include the income in your General Business Income.  If for some reason you did have to pay foreign tax on this income, then you would want to claim foreign tax credit on your US return to help offset double taxation.  If this is the case, enter "foreign tax credit" in the search box at the top of your screen and click the " Jump to foreign tax credit."

Missy1

Thank you! I was very frustrated, going in circles. I appreciate you confirming what my original understanding was.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies