turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i claim my girlfriend, can she still file her w2s? like would she file them with mine. she did not make more then 4000 and i usually claim her as i take care of us

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If i claim my girlfriend, can she still file her w2s? like would she file them with mine. she did not make more then 4000 and i usually claim her as i take care of us

You can claim your girlfriend as a dependent if she passes all the following tests:

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. 
  2. The person must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local laws). 
  3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050. 
  4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
  5. The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national.
  6. The person is not a married person who files a joint return unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.

If she received her income (less than $4,050) as wages on a W-2 form, she is not required to file a tax return. But she can file a tax return to obtain a refund of taxes withheld.

If her income is from self-employment (form 1099-MISC), she is required to file a tax return if the amount is over $400.

In both case, she has to indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies