If I bought a new computer after I filed my 2018 T...

casario

If I bought a new computer after I filed my 2018 Turbo Tax and transfer that info to my new computer, what app do I use to open it?

Only the TurboTax software can open the tax data file.  For tax year 2018 you would need the TurboTax 2018 software to open the 2018 tax data file which has a file extension of .tax2018

Install the 2018 TurboTax software on the new computer.

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a PDF file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and PDF files are stored.  Then copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.  Those can always be at least read by any system, even if they can't be used directly by the program.

Especially....if you are upgrading to Windows 10....there is no guarantee that any of the 2014...or prior year tax programs will run at all on W-10.  That has yet to be determined...

Save the PDF for each year twice.

1) Once as the tax return for filing   (this contains just the filing tax forms)

2) Again as the tax return, but with ALL the forms and worksheets (this contains all of your worksheets and shows all  of your entries on some form or another).

The selection of the bare tax return, or the extended tax return with everything is made during the Save-to-PDF process.

And back those PDFs up to a backup USB or CD....every year we get tons of folks begging for access to a tax return on a crashed disk....TTX doesn't have it...only you do when you use the desktop software.

djhanglider69

No disc drive

mesquitebean

@djhanglider69 wrote:

No disc drive

No context was provided, so we have to guess what you are referring to.  Since this thread is about 2018 TurboTax, did you originally purchase a 2018 CD but have no CD drive on the computer you're now using?    If so, you can phone TurboTax Support and inform them of your purchase and ask for the 2018 product as a download.

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8 PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.  There's no need to try until they are open, or it will just say closed.

In the dropdown menu be sure to indicate you have the CD/download version and for what OS (Windows or Mac), and then what product edition:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact