turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

susanels

If I bought a hard copy of Home & Business turbotax, will my information from my on-line account transfer into the forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

If I bought a hard copy of Home & Business turbotax, will my information from my on-line account transfer into the forms?

You will need to sign into your TurboTax Online account to access the tax file you wish to transfer to the desktop version.  This is whether you used TurboTax online to create your 2016 tax return or are referencing that you started a 2017 return online and now want to use the Home & Business desktop version.  

If you have a 2016 return in your Online account,  sign in Online and access your 2016 return.  Under the "Tax Tools" tab on the left side of the screen, select "Tools" and the select "Save Your Return to Your Computer."   

Then in your desktop version of Home & Business, when starting a new return for 2017, you should be able to browse for the file you just saved to your computer.  The 2016 file must have a .tax2016 file extension.

If you don't have a copy of your 2016 return in an .tax2016 data file format, there is a workaround listed in the link below.    To find the workaround steps, click on the Transfer from TurboTax Online option within the following link.

Transfer Last Year's Return to TurboTax for Windows

If you have a 2017 tax return started Online and are wanting to switch to the desktop version, use this link outlining steps for completion of the file transfer.

TurboTax Online to TurboTax Software

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

You will need to sign into your TurboTax Online account to access the tax file you wish to transfer to the desktop version.  This is whether you used TurboTax online to create your 2016 tax return or are referencing that you started a 2017 return online and now want to use the Home & Business desktop version.  

If you have a 2016 return in your Online account,  sign in Online and access your 2016 return.  Under the "Tax Tools" tab on the left side of the screen, select "Tools" and the select "Save Your Return to Your Computer."   

Then in your desktop version of Home & Business, when starting a new return for 2017, you should be able to browse for the file you just saved to your computer.  The 2016 file must have a .tax2016 file extension.

If you don't have a copy of your 2016 return in an .tax2016 data file format, there is a workaround listed in the link below.    To find the workaround steps, click on the Transfer from TurboTax Online option within the following link.

Transfer Last Year's Return to TurboTax for Windows

If you have a 2017 tax return started Online and are wanting to switch to the desktop version, use this link outlining steps for completion of the file transfer.

TurboTax Online to TurboTax Software

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies