mattheweschtruth

If I became legally separated as of December 24th 2017 and my soon to be ex-wife has physical custody, would she get the child tax credit even if she did not work at all the whole year and I provided

HelenaC

No, she would not qualify to get the Child Tax Credit if she did not have income. The Child Tax Credit is a refundable credit. It reduces your tax liability. If you don't have income, you don't have a tax liability so there is no tax liability to reduce. 

She also would not qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit because the qualifications are the same as the Child Tax Credit, except you also need to have at least $3,000 in earned income

Related Information:

HelenaC

Related Information: