saraski79

If I am making payments to a credit union for a loan, do I claim the finance charges on my taxes?

DS30

The IRS does not allow a taxpayer to claim an interest deduction if it is a personal loan (This includes a personal car loan.)

If however, the loan is a home equity loan, you may be able to claim this as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

If this is student loan interest, you would be able to claim this on your tax return if you meet all the eligibility requirements. (Student loan interest would be reported to you on a Form 1098-E).

What type of loan?
saraski1979

It was a car loan.
DS30

Unless the car is used for business purposes (as in a self-employment business or for unreimbursed car use as an employee), you will not be able to claim a deduction for this car loan. Please see posted answer.
DS30