turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am an LLC who provides a sale of a product, can the person I sold the product to ask me to fill out a W-9?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I am an LLC who provides a sale of a product, can the person I sold the product to ask me to fill out a W-9?

The person can ask and you are free to comply, but you can inform them that, in general, a tax reporting statement does not need to be filed if the payment is for merchandise.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc#idm139665634605616

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

They can ask, but there's no need for it. They need the W-9 if they are going to send you a 1099-MISC for the money they pay you. But they should not be sending you a 1099-MISC. First of all, a person does not send a 1099-MISC. Only a business sends a 1099-MISC. Secondly, they are not supposed to send a 1099-MISC for a purchase of a product. It's only for payment for services.

You can try showing them the 1099-MISC instructions that tagteam referenced, but they are your customer, so you probably don't want to get into a big argument with them. There's really no harm in them sending you a 1099-MISC as long as you report the income, which I assume you would do with or without a 1099-MISC. If you do fill out a W-9 for them, give them your EIN, not your Social Security number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies