turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If husband and I file separate, how do we enter the community income adjustable/subtraction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JaimeG

If husband and I file separate, how do we enter the community income adjustable/subtraction?

First, use your community property state rules to determine what adjustments you expect to enter in TurboTax. Community property states are: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

If you live in a community property state this means that your earnings are joint. I am in Texas and here it means that if you make $40,000.00 and he makes $60,000 then Jointly each of you earns $50,000.00.

Using the same numbers above you would enter $10,000.00 in the addition adjustment box since your Joint Income is $10,000 above your earned income and he would enter $10,000.00 in the subtraction adjustment box for the same reason.

As I mentioned above, I am from Texas. Each state has its definition of how Community Property is accounted for. I have included a TurboTax FAQ regarding Community Property and filing your Taxes. The FAQ suggests that you use the desktop version to Prepare and File your taxes if you choose this status. This is rarely the case but I also agree that TurboTax Desktop is better suited to prepare a return that involves Community Property.:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301943

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies