Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkpena

My full time college student dependant worked earned 5510.00. Can I claim him? Does he file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My full time college student dependant worked earned 5510.00. Can I claim him? Does he file?

If he was under age 24 at year end and lived with you more than half the year (except for temporary absence while away at school), you can most likely claim him as a dependent.

He is not required to file a tax return if the $5510 was his only income and it was reported on a W-2. If federal income tax was withheld, he should file a return to get a refund.

If his income was reported on a 1099-MISC or no form, he must file a return to pay about 15% of self employment tax. 

If he files a return, he needs to indicate on his return that he can be claimed by someone else.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If he was under age 24 at year end and lived with you more than half the year (except for temporary absence while away at school), you can most likely claim him as a dependent.

He is not required to file a tax return if the $5510 was his only income and it was reported on a W-2. If federal income tax was withheld, he should file a return to get a refund.

If his income was reported on a 1099-MISC or no form, he must file a return to pay about 15% of self employment tax. 

If he files a return, he needs to indicate on his return that he can be claimed by someone else.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies