turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If, an error of claiming 2 dependents instead of 1 are on paystubs and W-2 form, how should proceed or who to contact? My job is fixing it and told to contact Turbotax.

I just noticed this error while doing taxes this year and it has been there the whole time I started working at my current job. I informed my job and the payroll clerk is fixing it, but also told me to contact Turboax for further assistance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If, an error of claiming 2 dependents instead of 1 are on paystubs and W-2 form, how should proceed or who to contact? My job is fixing it and told to contact Turbotax.

you don’t need to do anything about that.  What you claim at work doesn’t need to match your actual tax return.  That is just to tell your employer how much withholding to take out.  You only enter the total $ withheld in you W2 box 2.  Not the # of dependents.  You just change it at work.  Like I’m married but claim single at work to have more taken out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

you don’t need to do anything about that.  What you claim at work doesn’t need to match your actual tax return.  That is just to tell your employer how much withholding to take out.  You only enter the total $ withheld in you W2 box 2.  Not the # of dependents.  You just change it at work.  Like I’m married but claim single at work to have more taken out.

Thank you for your response. I was concerned, but I informed my job of the error and they corrected it. Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies