turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mercle87

Can me and my boyfriend each claim a kid if we live together?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BobB7

Assuming that you have two kids together and that you all live together and that you both have income and that you aren't married then you can each claim one of the children or one of you can claim both, as long as you both agree to the arrangement.  Also, one of you (the one that pays the greatest portion of the household expense) can file as Head of Household, while the other files as Single.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
srob

NO
BobB7

Assuming that you have two kids together and that you all live together and that you both have income and that you aren't married then you can each claim one of the children or one of you can claim both, as long as you both agree to the arrangement.  Also, one of you (the one that pays the greatest portion of the household expense) can file as Head of Household, while the other files as Single.

BobB7

Contrary to many of the previous comments, this is perfectly OK by the IRS rules.

Yeah this was what i was trying to say lol

Idk for sure but i do believe if ur not married then only one of the parents can claim one kid or all of them.  Like if u have 2 kids u could claim one and he could but id prolly be best to claim them together on one

If hes the father

If not not he cant claim them at all unless ur married and file everything together
mercle87

yes hes the father

U shoukd be able to then but it would be best to do them on either ur or his

Unfortunately that may be considered, "double dipping". I would seek the advice of a reputable tax advisor.

lhardway

I have to assume you're the legal parents.  If your boyfriend is not a legal parent, then you'd have to get a waiver from the legal parent for him to claim them, which is a hassle. So if he is the legal parent and you both provided income to the home and provided for the children, then yes, you could split them up. Each of you could claim one child as a dependent (again, I'm assuming you have two children, you can't both claim the same child).  However, check to see if one of you is in a higher tax bracket than the other (you can google 2015 single filer tax brackets to get the number).  If one of you has income in a higher bracket than the other, then that person should claim BOTH children because that person is paying the most taxes, make sense? If you're both in the SAME tax bracket, then I would still put them with the highest income earner.  If you're both in the 10% bracket, then it doesn't matter who claims who, the deduction will be exactly the same.  

BobB7

Well, this oversimplifies how it works out best, since EIC can change things.  What's best is to try it all three ways.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies