turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akrojas88

I have a 1099 misc form, but I’m not self employed. I work for a company that gives a W2 for their wages and a 1099. How do I avoid paying self employed taxes?

Since I’m not self employed, I don’t understand how to enter in the information for the 1099 misc. The income is from credit card tips left be clients. The questions asked in the 1099 sections don’t apply to me and I’m looks for guidance on how to continue? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I have a 1099 misc form, but I’m not self employed. I work for a company that gives a W2 for their wages and a 1099. How do I avoid paying self employed taxes?

Ideally your employer should give you a corrected W-2.  If they can't or won't, then do this:

Enter your 1099-MISC in the Other Common Income section of TurboTax, on the line for 1099-MISC.  Go through the follow-up questions.  You'll come to the page that says "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?"  Check the response "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2".  Then proceed through the rest of the questions.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Ideally your employer should give you a corrected W-2.  If they can't or won't, then do this:

Enter your 1099-MISC in the Other Common Income section of TurboTax, on the line for 1099-MISC.  Go through the follow-up questions.  You'll come to the page that says "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?"  Check the response "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2".  Then proceed through the rest of the questions.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Your employer should report that amount in Box 8 of your W2, they should not give you a 1099-MISC. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies