orders2

I would like to do a "what if" with my new husband's tax information. Is there a way to do this?

Just curious as to what my new husband's contribution (or subtraction) to my taxes would be and Turbo Tax won't let me get past entering my W2 info first.  I would like to enter his info and see the tax implication and then go back and fill in my info.

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

The desktop version of TurboTax offers a What-If Worksheet.  It's probably easiest to enter the information on both you and your husband in the return first.  Then open the What-If worksheet and delete his information in the next column to get a side-by-side comparison.

You will get error messages if you try to enter your W-2s, etc. as spouse when there is no taxpayer.  To open the What-If worksheet, please follow these steps:

1. When you are in your return, click on Forms in the upper right of the screen. 
  2. When in Forms mode, click on Open Form in the upper left of the screen. 
  3. Type in what-if and double-click on the result to open the worksheet.  With the What-If Worksheet open you can use the 2019 tax rates or check the box(es) shown to use the 2020 tax rates for each scenario you will be running.  [See screenshot below.]

What if.jpg

[Edited | 3/19/2020 |  1:10 pm PDT]

IreneS

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

What if.jpg

[Edited | 3/19/2020 |  1:10 pm PDT]

orders2

Very Very helpful. Although I have not tried it yet I'm sure it will work because your instructions are so good.

You can also save your return with another name to test in.  Go to FILE - Save As.  You can make several new returns.  Be sure to name them so you can tell them apart.
orders2

thank you. I knew there had to be some way to do it....  someone from Turbotax answered and said there is actually a what-if form under forms as well.

Yes I was just giving you some other ideas you can do.
orders2

Thank you, I do appreciate the extra suggestions