turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked for Uber and earned between $400-$500 and that haven't sent a 1099, just a quick summary of earnings that I received via email. Does this need to be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I worked for Uber and earned between $400-$500 and that haven't sent a 1099, just a quick summary of earnings that I received via email. Does this need to be reported?

Yes. You will have to upgrade to Turbotax self Employment

You report the income from your own records. The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You won’t have to pay self employment tax (social security) since you made less  than $400.

Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The FREEDOM Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

•                 AGI of $33,000 or less

•                 or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less

•                 or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Freedom Edition

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. You will have to upgrade to Turbotax self Employment

You report the income from your own records. The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You won’t have to pay self employment tax (social security) since you made less  than $400.

Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The FREEDOM Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

•                 AGI of $33,000 or less

•                 or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less

•                 or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Freedom Edition

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies