turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked for my mom's small business 2017 and she never issued me a W2 or 1099 and doesn't know how to. I made over $600. How in TurboTax do I report the income?

This is the first year (2017) that I have worked for my mom's small business the whole year.  I made over $600.00 for the year. She doesn't know how to issue a W2 or 1099 form and said that I could probably make my own.   No taxes were taken out of any of my checks but I kept a thorough log of payments, so I was just going to add the total to my income, but I can't find where to put that in TurboTax.   Is there a way I can report my income? How do I do so in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I worked for my mom's small business 2017 and she never issued me a W2 or 1099 and doesn't know how to. I made over $600. How in TurboTax do I report the income?

If you were paid by your mom's business without a W-2 or any withholding, you have to report the income as self-employment income.

This is how to report it (with or without 1099-MISC):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4801198

Your mom is required to issue you a form 1099-MISc and file it with the IRS by January 31, 2018. It is late now but she can still file it as penalties increase with the passage of time.
To prepare and file forms 1099-MISC she can use Turbotax Self-Employment.

Here are the instructions:

To prepare forms W-2 and 1099-MISC with TurboTax Self-Employed, follow these steps:

• Sign out of your account and sign in again. On the landing page, click on Prepare W2s and 1099s (see attached screenshot).
  • You will be taken to the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms (QEF) website.
  • Sign in with your TurboTax username and password. If you do not have an account, click Create Account to create a new account. Note carefully the username and password as you need then if you need to retrieve the forms later.
  • After signing in, click on Create New Form
  • On the next page, choose the type of forms you wish to prepare then click Continue to begin entering information for your forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you were paid by your mom's business without a W-2 or any withholding, you have to report the income as self-employment income.

This is how to report it (with or without 1099-MISC):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4801198

Your mom is required to issue you a form 1099-MISc and file it with the IRS by January 31, 2018. It is late now but she can still file it as penalties increase with the passage of time.
To prepare and file forms 1099-MISC she can use Turbotax Self-Employment.

Here are the instructions:

To prepare forms W-2 and 1099-MISC with TurboTax Self-Employed, follow these steps:

• Sign out of your account and sign in again. On the landing page, click on Prepare W2s and 1099s (see attached screenshot).
  • You will be taken to the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms (QEF) website.
  • Sign in with your TurboTax username and password. If you do not have an account, click Create Account to create a new account. Note carefully the username and password as you need then if you need to retrieve the forms later.
  • After signing in, click on Create New Form
  • On the next page, choose the type of forms you wish to prepare then click Continue to begin entering information for your forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies