turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

piatan

I worked for an international organization for 6 months in 2016, but received no W2, just pay statements, making quarterly federal tax payments. Where do I report income?

I see that if I had received a W2 from my international organization employer, I would have the option to mark that income as coming from an international organization. It looks like I could also mark that income as coming from an international organization if I reported it as self-employment income. However, I received no W2 from my employer, and self-employment income requires a business name through which I earned that income, and I have neither.

I did make quarterly tax payments, using the IRS worksheet, while working (and living) overseas for six months, and I received pay stubs for my monthly income while working for this international organization, but the only way I can see to report this income is through the "foreign earned income and exclusion" option under "less common income", and this option does not let me mark this income as coming from a international organization. Where should this income be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I worked for an international organization for 6 months in 2016, but received no W2, just pay statements, making quarterly federal tax payments. Where do I report income?

Please report taxable earnings for working for an international organization as follows:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Miscellaneous Income
  5. Select Other reportable income, select ‘yes’ and you will be prompted to enter Description and amount.

Since you have taxes paid, please report them using steps below:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Income Taxes
  4. Other Income Taxes Paid in 2016
  5. Select Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

You need to report a EIN number from the payer and in this case, the international organizations does not have them. If you dont put the number, turbotax dont let you file taxes online. any ideas?

The steps above for reporting income from an International Organization are still correct.  Make sure you are going to the correct screens so you are not asked for an EIN.

1. Less Common Income
  2. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C - Edit/Add
  3. Other Reportable income
  4. At the Other Taxable Income screen you can add a description and the amount of the income

The directions for entering Estimated Taxes are different now.

1. Federal
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  4. Estimated Tax Payments

@josepnyc76

Thank you for the message. I guess I have to add the gross income but, because my organization withholds Social Security tax and witholding tax. Is there any way to credit these foreign taxes?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@josepnyc76 Are the taxes you paid Foreign Taxes? Paid to a Foreign Country?

If not, report the withholding as per @MargaretL above. 

It they are Foreign Taxes, you can claim a Foreign Tax Credit.

Click this link for more info on How to Claim a Foreign Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, there are withholding taxes and social security taxes. It is a mission at the United Nations in New York so it is under the umbrella of international organizations. Do you think I can also deduct the Social security tax too? thanks

I just read that SS taxes paid to countries that have SS bilateral agreement do not qualify for foreign tax credit. 

thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies