turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dylan843

I worked as a long distance truck driver as an independent contractor paid with 1099-misc, where can i enter any per diem instructions?

I cant figure out where to enter any days where i can claim the per diem away from home deduction, any help?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I worked as a long distance truck driver as an independent contractor paid with 1099-misc, where can i enter any per diem instructions?

Per diem expenses or job related expenses are reported on form 2106.  The amount claimed must be reduced by any amount that is reimbursed by the employer.

If you are an employee, your allowable travel expenses are figured on Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ. Your allowable unreimbursed expenses are carried from Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ to Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), and are subject to a limit based on 2% of adjusted gross income. Refer to Topic 508 for information on the 2% limit. If you do not itemize your deductions, you cannot deduct these expenses.

Please see the following information to enter your Job Related Expenses:

1. Go to My Account > Tools > Topic Search
  2. In the search box, type 2106 and then click Go.
  3. At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.
  4. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

Tip: If the only work-related use of your car is commuting back and forth between your home and main workplace, do not enter any vehicle mileage or expenses. The IRS doesn't let employees deduct commuting costs.

dylan843

ive done that several times, there is no spot i have seen in any section about per diem write offs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies