jons313

I worked and paid taxes all of 2017, I was in a work release program for the first 5 months of this year. How will this affect my taxes.???

CarolynM

It doesn't. Income received from your regular employer is not treated differently just because you were on work release. The IRS offers the following guidelines for Earned Income: Earned Income

CarolynM

grimmj91

My brother was in work release until November of last year. Does this mean the only money that counts as 'earned income' is from November and December? See below from the link you posted: "Examples of Income that are Not Earned Income:
Pay received for work while an inmate in a penal institution
Interest and dividends
Retirement income
Social security
Unemployment benefits
Alimony
Child support.