turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scmpaxton

I work as needed for a company received a W-2 form am I considered independent contractor

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I work as needed for a company received a W-2 form am I considered independent contractor

No. A W-2 is used for reported Employee Wages. If all you have are W-2s, you're not considered an independent contractor and are not liable to pay Self-Employment taxes of 15% on your earnings.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelDC

No. A W-2 is used for reported Employee Wages. If all you have are W-2s, you're not considered an independent contractor and are not liable to pay Self-Employment taxes of 15% on your earnings.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

scmpaxton

?/ can I claim mileage. Since I only work as needed, and going forward is there any suggestion you can offer to decrease my owed taxes ( federal and state)
MichaelDC

You can claim mileage as an itemized deduction along with Mortgage property taxes and donations. Here's a link for deductible miles: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5738322">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5738322</a> Going forward? Your guess may be as good as mine. Standard deductions are doubling; itemized deductions are being reduced for 2018. Thanks! and Good Luck!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies