jessicalkread13

I won $1000 last year and got a 1099-MISC. How do I claim these winnings on my tax return?

AnthonyC

The easiest way to enter your 1099MISC form is to use the search function -

• Log into your account 
  • Click Take Me to My Return (must click this first)
  • Use the search icon in upper right-hand corner (looks like a magnifying glass)
  • Search for “1099MISC”
  • Click the "jump to 1099MISC" link
  • This will bring you to the 1099MISC summary page and you can add/edit your 1099-MISC forms here
  • Make sure you indicate that it was prize money on the followup screen when it asks for more details - this will place the amount on Line 21 of Form 1040.  You don't want to answer any questions that might indicate that this is business income.

If you have any trouble with the above steps, feel free to comment in a reply because there are a couple of other ways you could enter this income, but the above is the most direct.

AnthonyC

• Log into your account 
  • Search for “1099MISC”
  • Click the "jump to 1099MISC" link