turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went on line with turbotax and thought I was filing only my State Tax, I didn't realize we were doing both Federal and State, I mailed my Federal Tax in this morning,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I went on line with turbotax and thought I was filing only my State Tax, I didn't realize we were doing both Federal and State, I mailed my Federal Tax in this morning,

I believe what you mean is that you mailed in your federal return and then e-filed it, so it was filed twice. This is not normally a problem if the information is the same on both returns, as it would be in this situation. The IRS will process the first return they receive and discard the additional one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My returns done on Turbotax would net me more returns and since it was efiled on the same day I  mailed my paper returns, I would think they would get that one first, but it was rejected because it did not include my PIN , why didn't turbo tell me I would need a PIN to file on their site, so now the paper return will be used and I will receive less money back, I did not receive a PIN from the IRS so I can't correct the return that was rejected,

Thanks

-Rich

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you need an IP (Identity Protection) PIN to file your taxes, you can retrieve your IP PIN online. Please click on this link: Get an IP PIN

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.

• If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies