tmhabib

I was trying to enter information for my HSA it asked if wanted to upgrade i said yes but then it turns out i didn't need to upgrade because i only had a 5498-sa i want to downgrade but the only option ii found was to clear all

BMcCalpin

The IRS requires you to file form 8889 (for the HSA) if you:

• made a contribution in 2016,
  • took a distribution in 2016, or
  • inherited the HSA during 2016

If none of these apply, then you do not need to file the 8889 for 2016.

However, if the 5498-SA shows any contributions (whether by your or your employer), then you are required by the IRS to file form 8889, which, as you saw, requires the TurboTax Deluxe version (or above).

Please double-check the 5498-SA for any contributions, since if you had any and don't report an 8889, then the IRS assumes that all your contributions are taxable.

If you determine that you, in fact, are not required to file the form 8889 then, yes, you need to clear and start over (My Account (at the top)->Clear and Start Over), at which point you should be able to choose a different version.