turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was supposed to pay taxes back July 15th but COVID affected my job so I need an extension

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I was supposed to pay taxes back July 15th but COVID affected my job so I need an extension

The deadline for filing an extension was on July 15.  You should file your tax return and pay the taxes owed as soon as possible since the failure to pay and interest on the unpaid taxes will continue to accrue until the taxes are paid.

You can never get an extension on the time to pay your taxes. You can go to the IRS website and request a payment plan, which will reduce the late payment penalty but not eliminate it.  However, payment plans require a nonrefundable application fee, so if you can pay the taxes within three months or less, it is usually cheaper to just pay the tax as soon as you can instead of applying for a payment plan.  Including interest, the penalty for late payment is about 1% per month.

The penalty for filing late is much higher. You should file your tax return as soon as you can even if you can’t pay right away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies