Solved: I was paid for taking care of both elderly parents. How do I claim the income on a married filing jointly return.

I was paid for taking care of both elderly parents. How do I claim the income on a married filing jointly return.

Last year I only did this part of the year. This year I will care for both parents full time the whole year. Should I file quarterly taxes this year. If yes, how do I do this?

There are a couple of ways to approach this that depend on your total family tax situation.

They can each give you a gift of up to $14,000 a year and there is no reporting required.  You have no income to be taxed and earn no Self-employment (Medicare and Social Security) credit.  They would not be able deduct any of those funds on their taxes.

Your could report it as Self-employed income on Schedule C.  Expenses that you incur are deductible also on your Schedule C.  

They can take some or all of the expense as a medical deduction on their Schedule A.  Money they pay you for food, and personal care items would not be a medical expense to them.  

Are you being paid by some agency or from family funds?

family funds

From what I understand, we CANNOT deduct our 92 year old, dementia, invalid Mother because we make too much money.  Even though we pay 100% of her costs, save it be health costs.

Mom just qualified to receive VA Benefits to pay for Care - is that what you are referring to?

Thank You

Family Funds ?   Clarification for me if you don't mind

Thank You