turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bcheng28

I was only on a temporary assignment in New York, but the company that sent me there is based in IL and my wages were paid from that same company. Do i have to fill out nonresident business allocation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I was only on a temporary assignment in New York, but the company that sent me there is based in IL and my wages were paid from that same company. Do i have to fill out nonresident business allocation?

No, it is not necessary.  The reason why is that the income you earned in New York is taxed in New York as a nonresident.  The fact that you were paid by a company in Illinois does not change this.  

The nonresident business allocation is filled out when some of the wages stated as being earned in New York as a nonresident were actually earned in another state.  However, if all that is reported to New York was earned in New York, no allocation (dividing, splitting) is needed.

The income is not allocated in the state where you live (sounds like Illinois), because your resident state taxes all of your income.  You will claim a credit on your resident state return for the tax you pay to NY on the income you earn in New York, but your resident state taxes all of your income otherwise.

You do want to prepare the nonresident return first for TurboTax to calculate the credit correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies