I was in USA on L1 visa. I moved out of USA in Feb 2017. It is less than 180 days. How do I file the tax returns?

LinaJ2018

When did you first enter the US?

Jan 2012
LinaJ2018

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018

I am attaching the IRS article regarding submitting required statements prior to your departure. 

Please see Required statements

You can use TurboTax program to prepare your portion for being a resident.  However, you can not e-file your form 1040. Instead, you will need to print and attach it to your form 1040NR and mail them together with any required documentation to the IRS location at Austin TX.

Please see detailed information:

DualStatus

under What and Where To File for a Dual-Status Year

Thanks. One more question: I was in USA only till 10th Jan but received the salary at the end of the month. What do I put on 1040? Or just leave 1040 blank and put everything under 1040NR?
LinaJ2018

You have two options.  As you first entered the US in 2012, if you lived in the US in both 2015 and 2016, you are considered as a US resident for tax purposes for the entire calendar year of 2017 by meeting the Substantial Presence Test  SPT.  You will be filing a Form 1040.  However, you can claim to be a dual-status alien for 2017 if you meet the following conditions:

• You are not a U.S. resident during any part of the following year (2018) and
  • You establish that, after you left the U.S., your tax home was a foreign country and you had a closer connection to that country.

For more information about dual-status alien, please see Last Year Residency- under Year of Departure

The link you shared says "Before leaving the United States, aliens are generally required to obtain a certificate of compliance, also known as a sailing permit or departure permit, by filing Form 1040-C with a local IRS office.". I wasn't aware and have not filed this form. What are my options?

When you say, I will be considered US resident for tax purposes for entire 2017, does that mean, I have to report income during the rest of the year I earned after moving back to my home country?

For the dual-status filing, can I use turbotax and sprintax?
LinaJ2018

As a US resident for tax purposes, you are required to report worldwide income.  Yes, you may use both programs to prepare our dual-status return.
LinaJ2018

Please see answer below.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing