Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was fired in Jun 2017. My Visa L1 was revoked and I had to leave the country by EO June,Do I pay a penalty for the months I was not covered in 2017 Health Insurance?

I worked for 2 years in US with an L1 Visa. On June 2017 I was laid off and my Visa revoked so I needed to leave the country asap. I did not sign up for COBRA as I knew I was leaving before my coverage provided by my former employer expired.

I was covered until my last day in US with Health Insurance. I am now completing my Tax Refund and found that since me and my family left in June I need to pay a penalty for the months July to Dec 2017 when I was not longer residing in US and my Visa privileges revoked. Is this correct?

Do I need to select any other option when declaring the months I received coverage in 2017?

Thank you,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I was fired in Jun 2017. My Visa L1 was revoked and I had to leave the country by EO June,Do I pay a penalty for the months I was not covered in 2017 Health Insurance?

You are exempted from the ACA penalty for the months after your visa was revoked.

In TurboTax, revisit the Health Insurance section.

• On the page which asks Did you all have health insurance coverage, click on I'll pick who had it and which months (see attached screenshot 1)
  • On the next page, check the months each member of your family had insurance leaving blank the months you did not have insurance and Continue
  • On the next page titled Did anyone have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? put a check mark at Not a legal U.S. resident (see attached screenshot 2)
  • On the next page, check the months for which you and members of your family had left the U.S.
  • The penalty for these months will be waived.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies