I was charged $63.97 for the deluxe plan, but my friend had all the same criteria as me, and only paid $43. Why is that?

Did your friend use Online Deluxe prior to March 1 at 39.99 for a Federal return plus sales tax?

And did you use Online Deluxe after March 1 at 59.99 for a Federal return plus sales tax?

All online TurboTax paid products had a price increase on March 1.   Actually, the price prior to March 1 was a discounted price, and on March 1 the early-filing season discounts expired, and products returned to the normal undiscounted price.

Or did your friend pay recently but had a special offer?