turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a high school referee in 2017 and earned approx. $1000 by checks from each school. Do I need to file my 1099s for each or is the income low enough I don't need to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I was a high school referee in 2017 and earned approx. $1000 by checks from each school. Do I need to file my 1099s for each or is the income low enough I don't need to?

You will need to file a 2017 return and declare each 1099 (and any other income) on your return if you meet the following requirements:

You will need to file a return if you had over $400 in net self-employment income, or you had marketplace health insurance and received advanced payments for the premium tax credit, or you had a health savings account distribution.  Please see link  for additional reasons you may have to file and which dependents have to file

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17

Please note that each Form 1099 is matched to your Social Security number , so the IRS can send out a tax bill if you should have filed but did not.

You will also need to file  if one of the following is true (age is as of December 31, 2017):

1. If your gross income is more is at least $10,400 and you are single and under 65.

2. If your gross income is at least $11,950 and you are single and 65 or older

3. If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $20,800 with both spouses under 65.

4.  If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $22,050 with one spouse is 65 or older.

5. If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $23,300 with both spouses 65 or older.

6. If you are married filing separately and your gross income is at least $4,050.

7. If you are head of household and your gross income is at least $13,400 and you are under 65

8. If you are head of household and your gross income is at least $14,950 and you are 65 or older.

9. If you are a qualifying widow(er) and your gross income is at least $16,750 and you are under 65.

10. If you are a qualifying widow(er) and your gross income is at least $18,000 and you are 65 or older

You report ALL self employed income, regardless if you receive a 1099 or not.  Doesn't matter the amount.  For some kids, they are required to file a tax return of self-employed income exceeds $400.  If your already required to file, ALL income is to be reported on the tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies