hannah-crouse

I was a high school referee in 2017 and earned approx. $1000 by checks from each school. Do I need to file my 1099s for each or is the income low enough I don't need to?

KarenJ

You will need to file a 2017 return and declare each 1099 (and any other income) on your return if you meet the following requirements:

You will need to file a return if you had over $400 in net self-employment income, or you had marketplace health insurance and received advanced payments for the premium tax credit, or you had a health savings account distribution.  Please see link  for additional reasons you may have to file and which dependents have to file

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17

Please note that each Form 1099 is matched to your Social Security number , so the IRS can send out a tax bill if you should have filed but did not.

You will also need to file  if one of the following is true (age is as of December 31, 2017):

1. If your gross income is more is at least $10,400 and you are single and under 65.

2. If your gross income is at least $11,950 and you are single and 65 or older

3. If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $20,800 with both spouses under 65.

4.  If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $22,050 with one spouse is 65 or older.

5. If you are married filing jointly (MFJ) and your gross income is at least $23,300 with both spouses 65 or older.

6. If you are married filing separately and your gross income is at least $4,050.

7. If you are head of household and your gross income is at least $13,400 and you are under 65

8. If you are head of household and your gross income is at least $14,950 and you are 65 or older.

9. If you are a qualifying widow(er) and your gross income is at least $16,750 and you are under 65.

10. If you are a qualifying widow(er) and your gross income is at least $18,000 and you are 65 or older

re2boys

re2boys

You report ALL self employed income, regardless if you receive a 1099 or not.  Doesn't matter the amount.  For some kids, they are required to file a tax return of self-employed income exceeds $400.  If your already required to file, ALL income is to be reported on the tax return.