turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to fix and re-file my 2019 tax. I paid my $300 tax do when I got my extension to file them. How do I refile if I have paid the tax due?

I got an extension to file my 2019 taxes. How do I re-file my 2019 taxes If I have paid the 2019 tax due?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I want to fix and re-file my 2019 tax. I paid my $300 tax do when I got my extension to file them. How do I refile if I have paid the tax due?

If you need to change a tax return that is already filed, then you have to file a Form 1040X to amend the filing.  Just include the additional extension payment on the appropriate line.  The IRS will adjust and give you credit for the additional taxes paid.  If you are mailing the returns, I would also include a copy of the check and the extension form for reference.

Please explain what you mean by "fix and re-file" before you try to do anything else.  Why do you need to "re-fie?"  Did you really file the tax return?  Has it been fully processed?    If all you did was get an extension for 2019 and pay the estimated tax due, you are not re-filing----you are ready to actually file the return for the first time---the terms you use to explain really matter here  --- so we need to understand what all you have done,

If the return has never been e-filed or printed and mailed--ever--then there is nothing you are re-doing.

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

In order to e-file your tax return--when all of your data is completely entered -- go through all of the steps in the FILE section to a big orange button that says "Transmit my returns now."  Until you click that button, you have not filed.

Then watch your emails.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dearl58

I need to reflect the refund and enter a the tax amount due.

When all of your data is entered, if you are getting a tax refund it will be shown on line 20 of your Form 1040.  If you owe more even though you made an estimated payment, then the amount you still owe will be on line 23.  It cannot be both--you cannot owe and get a refund for the same tax return.

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, (which has the address printed on it, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies