turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jonzeee69

I want to e-file my federal and state tax return but I don't know where it is change that so that they get done that way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

I want to e-file my federal and state tax return but I don't know where it is change that so that they get done that way?

You will get the option to electronically file both of your returns after you complete your state return. If you have previously chosen to mail your returns and want to switch to the electronic filing method follow the directions in this TurboTax FAQ to do so. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download software, then follow the directions in this TurboTax FAQ instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NCDG
Returning Member

the link wont let me see the instructions.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@NCDG Here are instructions on how to switch from mail to e-file using TurboTax online if you have not already completely filed your return: 

If you printed your taxes to mail them in and went all the way through the File section, when you sign in to TurboTax Online you'll see the Way to go! You filed your 2020 taxes and you won't see a way to change to e-filing. As long as you haven't already mailed your 2020 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2021). However, some states now require e-filing, which means the federal and state must be e-filed together.

If you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

Please let me know if this is not what you meant and you still need assistance!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies