turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yoshi4205

I want to addend my tax return because I believe I am entitled to a 2000 rebate for being in Medical School last year.

All of my other residents in my program said that there was a 2000 dollar rebate if I was still in school last year, and I definitely didn't fill something out to receive it, and was told I was still able to amend my returns to receive it, but not sure exactly what to fill out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I want to addend my tax return because I believe I am entitled to a 2000 rebate for being in Medical School last year.

Which exact "rebate" are you referring to?

Are you claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can amend, but there is no magical $2000 rebate.

If you were claimed as a dependent by your parents, they received any credits that you might be eligible for.  

The American Opportunity Credit is the only credit that can give you cash back even if you don't work, and that is $1000, only applies to the first 4 years of undergraduate school, and you can't get the extra cash unless you are 24 or older or your parents are dead.  Otherwise, it goes to your parents (if you are a dependent) and if it goes to you, it can only reduce your taxes owed to zero.

For medical school, only the lifetime learning credit is available. It will reduce your taxes by 20% of your tuition paid up to $2000 ($10,000 of tuition).  But it only reduces your income tax.  If you worked and paid withholding you would get a refund of your withholding.  It doesn't come back as a refund if you don't work and owe no taxes.

If you used turbotax last year and are not a dependent and you entered your 1098-T, you already got whatever you qualify for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies