turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ruggaby

What do I do if I have no values in Boxes 15&16 — it just says "TOTAL STATE" — but I DO have a value in Box 17?

I worked for one company, but moved states mid-year. I received one W2; two slips (top & bottom-left) have no values in Boxes 15&16 (says TOTAL STATE), but do have a value in Box 17. The other two slips (Bottom-right) have values for all Boxes 15,16,17 (and 17 is different from from the other two slips).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cindy0H

What do I do if I have no values in Boxes 15&16 — it just says "TOTAL STATE" — but I DO have a value in Box 17?

If the rest of the W2s are the same, complete the state parts on one W2. Use the W2 with more complete information. Each state will have a line...boxes 15, 16, 17. This should indicate the wages and state taxes collected from each state. This will flow to the correct states when you complete those returns.

If you need more help with this, ask in the comment below.

ruggaby

To be clear: I only have one W2. Half of it has different info than the other half (four slips per W2). Do I need a new W2 — maybe two separate W2s for each state?
Cindy0H

No, you can use what you have. The boxes above the state part should all be correct. Just combine the information when you enter it in TurboTax. Does that make sense?
ruggaby

I think so, so I'm just combining the different values in the two different Box 17s? And then using the rest of the info from the more complete W2?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies