turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rickarlln

I think my tax return is wrong. Last year we used form 1040, This year its 1040a? I have more dependents this year. What happen to the bigger tax breaks?

My total of exemptions for 2017 is greater than 2016. My standard deductions seems on the low side.Also exemptions seem low. If we would have used form 1040, i would have a better return from all the new tax breaks. Do i need to amend my return? Tkanx 4 the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think my tax return is wrong. Last year we used form 1040, This year its 1040a? I have more dependents this year. What happen to the bigger tax breaks?

TurboTax selects the tax form that is appropriate for the information you entered, whether that is a 1040EZ, 1040A or "long form" 1040.  If you did not have itemized deductions or certain other things like foreign earned income, you may not have needed a 1040 this year.

Your standard deduction can be seen on line 24 of your 1040A.

You personal exemptions for yourself (and a spouse?) and dependents can be seen on line 26 of your 1040A.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

TurboTax selects the tax form that is appropriate for the information you entered, whether that is a 1040EZ, 1040A or "long form" 1040.  If you did not have itemized deductions or certain other things like foreign earned income, you may not have needed a 1040 this year.

Your standard deduction can be seen on line 24 of your 1040A.

You personal exemptions for yourself (and a spouse?) and dependents can be seen on line 26 of your 1040A.

Look at your tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child Tax Credit 1040A  line 35 1040 line 49

Additional Child Tax Credit   1040A  line 43 1040 line 67

Child & Dependent Care Credit  1040A line 31 1040 line 49

Earned Income Credit 1040A line 42a           1040 line 66a

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Note:  the "new tax breaks" are for your 2018 tax return which you will file in 2019.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies