holly-eaton

I think I filed an IT-370 for a 6 month extension for TY2014. I used TurboTax however I can find no IT-370 form in my 2014 software. What did TurboTax provide in 2014?

The only extensions offered by TurboTax in 2014 were for businesses. If the IT-370 extension form was not provided, did TurboTax include a link to the NY State website or explain how to file for an extension?

rjs

TurboTax for 2014 did not include Form IT-370. It directed you to file an extension on the New York web site, and it provided a link. See the attached screen shot from the 2014 software below.

Why is this important?  It is long past time for an extension to be of use.  Did you file late, and you need to prove you did have an extension?

Did you file using Turbotax Online or the program installed on your own computer?  If you used the program installed on your own computer, only you have records; nothing is saved online.  You are responsible for saving and backing up your data.
holly-eaton

I have always filed a federal and state extension at the same time. I filed my federal and NY 2014 returns by October 15, 2017 (within 3 years of the filing deadline) and subsequently received my federal refund however my NY state refund was denied as untimely. I am trying to locate my NY state extension form for that year and looked in my TurboTax 2014 return for the form but could not find it. Apparently TurboTax now offers the NY state form IT-370 in newer versions. I am trying to figure out how I filed for an extension if Turbo Tax was silent about how to do so. I need to prove I filed for an extension but need to determine how I did so. I also file taxes in Maryland which gives you an automatic extension if you file a federal request. Perhaps I assumed NY did the same if no extension form was provided in Turbo Tax which means I'm screwed.

In any case, even if you filed an extension for your 2014 tax return, that would only give you until October 15, 2015.  Your return is untimely.  And the statute of limitations to claim a refund is 3 years from the due date, which is either April 15, 2018, or October 15, 2018, so your return would be timely in either case.  Unless you meant 2018 when you said 2017 in your comment.
rjs