Following you will find
information to help you determine for if you can claim her as a dependent:
It's OK if you're still not sure about your dependent situation. We'll ask you all the right questions to figure out all your dependent details.
You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2016 taxes as long as they meet all of the following requirements :
- You provided more than half of their financial support. More info
- They made less than $4,050 in gross income during 2016 unless they are a qualifying child.
- They live with you or they are related to you.
- They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
- They aren't (or won't be) claimed as a dependent by someone else.
- They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
- You are not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.